Sometimes I feel like I’m not a person – I’m more like seven people, all clamoring to control my brain for a period of time.
Meet the seven Ambers:
(1) Save-the-world Amber. The original Amber. Says “Good morning!” and smiles while passing strangers. Unabashedly trusting.
Likes: giving people gifts, random acts of kindness, spending time “in nature”, volunteering, spirituality, philanthropy, daydreaming.
(2) Artsy Amber. Gets along well with save-the-world Amber. Sometimes they even share brainpower.
Likes: writing, scrapbooking, blogging, traveling, reading, learning.
(3) Nerdy Amber. Has seldom been seen for years, but made a significant reappearance since Diablo III was unleashed (excited nerd term for released).
Likes: gadgets, toys, comic books, board games, video games, card games, action/sci-fi/fantasy.
(4) Actually-kind-of-cool Amber. Emerged sometime in college, I think. Obtained a significant number of non-shitty friends that don’t care about her sexual orientation. Occasional self-confidence surges not seen in other models.
Likes: parties, dancing, MMA, hanging out, laughter, tequila, darts.
(5) Girly Amber. Very shy around nerdy and actually-kind-of-cool Amber.
Likes: dressing up, cupcakes, bubble baths, chocolate, decorating, happy endings.
(6) STRESSED-OUT Amber. Tyrant who, once in power, often forgets/ignores the other Ambers awaiting brainpower. Generalized ANXIETY, overinflated sense of RESPONSIBILITY, and unwarranted GUILT complex.
Likes: taking on too much, overachieving, perfection, self-sacrifice, CAPSLOCK.
(7) Robot Amber. Otherwise known as Safe Mode. Takes over once STRESSED-OUT Amber has been pushed to the breaking point. Not very personable. Has only remained in power long-term once, in the life era now referred to by all other Ambers as “The Vast Void” (v.v)
So there you have it: the inside scoop behind my mind wars. Sometimes alliances are forged over commonalities, like when save-the-world Amber and girly Amber tear up together watching movies with the motif “love conquers all”. Most of the time though, it’s just one of the first five dueling STRESSED-OUT Amber while the other four cheer from the sidelines and pray that Robot Amber remains unplugged.