I begged Imagination to be something else.
- Be hand-eye Coordination.
- Be test-taking Proficiency.
- Be Luck.
- Be Charm.
- Be Marketability.
Be not artistic, not vulnerable, not risky.
It refused to be anything else (because it wanted to be everything).
- I tried to put it away.
- I tried tried to bury it in a box.
- I tried to drown it in alcohol.
- I tried to bore it to death.
- I tried to ignore it to death.
I tried to leave it behind.
Eventually, there was nothing else left.
- I didn’t need better grades.
- I didn’t need more money.
- I didn’t need popularity.
- I didn’t need a comfort zone.
- I didn’t need approval.
And Imagination was still here waiting.